Thursday, May 12, 2016

Halfway Point

Well, it has obviously been a while since I've updated my blog so I'm going to take this opportunity to squeeze some of my personal experiences in the next few paragraphs. I'll start from my winter vacation! 


HCMC

Tourist

Traveling is more than physically visiting different places, it's a releasing of the soul. Vietnam was so beautiful and strangely familiar. I seriously felt like I found a missing piece to my heart and it enlarged my heart for Vietnam as a second generation Vietnamese-American daughter of parents who were raised there. Obviously, the landscapes and views were astonishing, jaw-dropping, awe-striking - you know it. What was equally interesting was the experience of speaking Vietnamese outside of my family and my hometown San Jose, California. I surprisingly enjoyed the language on its own - every syllable and intonation, as well as found its usefulness and value in my travels. Speaking the language made me miss my family since at home I communicated mostly in Vietnamese. I wanted to maintain my Vietnamese speaking skills and connect to my family more, especially the elderly who appreciated it most. Then all of the sudden my Viet-language maintenance halted when I moved to South Korea. I knew my Vietnamese wasn't going to be as great in Vietnam because I haven't spoken it in 3-months-time,  but the natives seemed to understand me just fine. That was pretty cool! I think I missed this language connection and building community. I was able to fluently converse with people and there was a simple joy underneath that. Whereas in South Korea,  it's like a game of charades with like 5 English words and some poor Korean mixed in there on my end of communication. I basically missed being able to talk to people. Hence, post-Vietnam, I was dreadfully homesick. I landed back in Korea, experiencing a mini culture-shock, thinking...Why am I not home... and missed everything -  my friends and family and the familiar, but most especially, my Sundays at C3SV Church. I needed a refuge.

Halong Bay

Even though I felt like I wanted to go home, I knew it wasn't my place to decide. There was more to be learned in this journey. Initially, I wanted South Korea so I could explore my independence from home and to deepen my relationship with God. (I was saved after my decision to teach in South Korea, but I feel like that's a different blog post, if you're interested. :)  For me, it was a wild decision to move and teach in South Korea for 1 year. I longed to see more of the world and to gain life experiences. It's not something that I take too lightly and I left knowing that this journey is a God-given hunger to search for the truth within. And because I've searched, He has responded and blessed me in amazing ways by revealing to me the desires of my heart, piece by piece. 



The Students 

First of all, my challenging and hilarious students are the core of my happiness in Korea. It was a surprise to me that I would enjoy teaching middle school. Obviously, I am obsessed with toddlers, and friends who travel with me here get nervous at the fact that I impetuously creep up on strangers' babies and do an up-close shot of them with my DSLR. No shame. In the beginning of my teaching experience, middle school was intimidating because students seemed much more rebellious and unruly. They are exactly that at times, for sure. However, they are so much more. I've had the privilege to hear them talk about their dreams, annoyances, and random life musings. Sometimes, things get uncomfortable in the classroom, like boys making inappropriate jokes - which deserves a major eye roll - but it's balanced with joyous moments like a student running from his bowl-cut haired, stylish squad to walk me out with his umbrella in the rain. These small moments warm my heart and I feel so blessed to be in a position where I'm their teacher and an influence. More importantly, I learn from them as a teacher. 

That one time we celebrated Ly's birthday from Korea : P
Community

Next, I've met some pretty cool people while I'm here: foreign teachers, Korean teachers, and lifetime friends. The teachers who live in my villa are the most friendly and entertainingly sarcastic bunch I've met. Then there are the friends I've made at the EPIK orientation; it's interesting to see each of our experiences unfold in their own ways as it is comforting having people who understand all of the tiny details from day one. I've had the pleasure of befriending an awesome South African family as well. They've freely shown me great hospitality and fellowship. We just finished a Vietnamese Food Night for about 25 guests. Imagine teaching South Africans how to properly prepare and wrap spring rolls! They also got to try my Bun Xao Nghe (turmeric chive noodles) and beef stir fry. If there's anything that has been instilled in my heart through meeting all of these amazing people, it's best worded by this verse I've encountered while reading the Scriptures:

This is my commandment, that you love another as I have loved you.
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. >> John 15

This verse abruptly filled my being like a glass of living water. Love came rushing in and overwhelming me with some heart-devouring words. It's 'crazy' how much life the Word could breathe into you. I've always felt an undeniable happiness in giving and doing things for others. This joy is immensely multiplied when I do and give with an understanding of God's heart and love for his people. Now I understand what this part of my heart is for. 

It is more blessed to give than to receive.  >> Acts 20:35

When I read this one, I felt an unveiling of a beaming treasure hidden deep within. God revealed to me that nothing else compares to serving His people, even in the simplest ways like Jesus did.  I can not help but praise and rejoice in knowing my this portion of my Creator.  That's exactly what building a relationship with God is like. He slowly uncovers layer by layer what already has been placed in your heart by His very own hands. A little unveiling releases great bliss. I can't quite fathom it and put it into words. But when you allow God to come and dress you, He dresses you in His strength and dignity. 

When South Africans attack your selfie

Creativity + Inspiration

I've also picked up some basic hobbies: journaling and watercoloring calligraphy. And I do some reading here and there. These are my ideal wind-down, introverted quiet time activities. I get really inspired to watercolour during worship or when it's a gift for others (not that I'm any good yet). It was so much fun painting this amateur flower pot for my friend Jessica! 





Last week, I was in bed around 10 PM watching a YouTube blogger talking about her stationery, plants, pencils, scissors, and paper clips. I caught myself perfectly content and excited by paper clips - so I couldn't help but laugh at myself. I shared my silliness in a group chat and one of my besties' response kept me laughing randomly for the next few days (*cough* unsurprisingly still single).

Stationery game STRONG

Lastly, my current situation is that I have an toe injury and am healing just fine. I requested time off of work to rest, and in the meantime discovered a little gem called Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. The movie (1994) moved me madly and deeply; I was in tears throughout and respected the hardships people faced in the time period (mid 1800s / Civil War / feminism). It was so amusing to see four girls with such different personalities explore their femininity and womanhood within a unique historical context. My favorite character is tied between the wild Jo, who is a tomboy at heart and never feels ashamed by it, and the mother figure Marmee, who speaks wisdom so tenderly. They're all great though. I love how the girls were encouraged to pursue their dreams, no matter how controversial at the time or what they were. This quote pretty much wrecked me:

"If you feel your value lies in being merely decorative, I fear that someday you might find yourself believing that's all you really are.  Time erodes all such beauty, but what it cannot diminish is the wonderful workings of your mind: Your humour, your kindness, and your moral courage. These are the things I cherish so in you. I so wish I could give my girls a more just world. But I know you'll make it a better place." -- Marmee, Little Women 

All I can say is that I was so inspired by this movie to manifest my own dream. I strangely felt mothered by it, too. It's amazing how the meaning behind this literary work (currently reading) is so universal and ahead of its time. Anyways, that's everything in a nutshell. I'll end with a bittersweet note by sharing that I've decided not to extend my contract to teach a second year in Korea. It's pretty sad to think about, so I'll do my best to cherish the rest of my time here. I'll be coming home in about 4.5 months to start a new journey, see some  familiar faces and cruise in my vehicle whilst listening to Going Back to Cali by Biggie. Yes! !



No comments:

Post a Comment